Actuarial Director - PL State Pricing
JOB ID #:9711
Full - Time
3 - 5 Years
Add to Job Cart
Our Actuarial Organization is seeking an Actuarial Director to join our Personal Lines State Pricing Team in our Worcester, MA office.
Responsible for overall management and technical oversight for an actuarial staff within the Personal Lines Actuarial department. Accountable for the pricing and profitability results of the team. Provides counsel to senior leadership on actuarial analysis and/or advanced analytics methods and results. Applies the business strategy of the organization to problems and initiates solutions. Represents the organization to both internal and external audiences. Pursues continuing education in actuarial profession.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
- Leads State Pricing Team in the Personal Lines (PL) Actuarial Department.
- Key communication steward for the relationship between State Management and the State Pricing team in Actuarial.
- Responsible for driving strategic business decisions and strengthening business partnership with the State Management Team. This includes:
- Actively build more effective communication between the teams.
- Actively improve common processes and workflows.
- Coaching/assisting strategic decision making as it relates to rate/rating plans in each state.
- Provide input and guidance to staff related to analyses and appropriate courses of action.
- Key communication role between teams across the PL Actuarial and analytics group.
- Responsible for providing updates/status to senior leadership of PL relating to results and relevant issues facing the team.
- Key participant and driver of active training and development for the PL actuarial staff.
- Lead role in yearly planning process and execution to the agreed upon plan.
- Owns, and is accountable for, executing rate reviews and achieving rate plan. This includes regular updates / report outs on rate activity, premium trend, and other profitability influences.
- Actively creates, uses, and analyzes profitability support tools to effectively improve our ratemaking process.
- Actively participates in CW strategy development within PL and across the Actuarial community (leveraging items such as catastrophe loss modeling, economic capital model, etc.).
- Responsible for continuous review and improvement of operations and managing unanticipated situations.
- Utilizes actuarial background to provide support on projects outside the core discipline.
- Ensures actuarial discipline follows industry best practices and satisfies customer needs.
- Has understanding of corporate strategic direction and knowledge of corporate/business unit interdependencies and uses that knowledge to appropriately lead team.
- Ability to influence and negotiate the appropriate actions to support strategic goals.
- Responsible for compliance with state & federal regulation.
- Capable of testifying at a rate hearing if necessary.
- Responsible for obtaining regulatory approval of filings.
- Demonstrates leadership skills, coaches and motivates team to accomplish goals through personal growth and technical learning.
- May oversee team's work product and day to day workload.
- Accountable for financial/budgetary oversight for applicable group.
- Responsible for performance and compensation management for team.
- May lead or participate in community recruiting and/or training activities.
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree or higher in a relevant technical field.
Seven+ years of technical experience in multiple LOB and/or actuarial disciplines such as pricing, reserving or advanced analytics.
Minimum of 2 years in management capacity.
FCAS Designation required - Demonstrated leadership skills & capabilities
Advanced communication skills.
Advanced skills using Microsoft Office, including Excel.
Intermediate programming skills, including the ability to develop and automate processes.
Demonstrated knowledge of all techniques used to model various assumptions.
Able to apply and interpret company policies and procedures.
Able to direct activities of others, motivate and develop staff.
The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
The Hanover Insurance Group does not accept unsolicited Agency resumes. The Hanover Insurance Group will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm that does not have a signed Employment Agency Agreement already on file with Human Resources - The Office of Talent Management.
Back to top