Manage/coach a multi-functional group of actuarial staff in support of department mission to protect Aetna's financial integrity. Lead/manage projects in support of strategic and operating plan goals. Negotiate and influence sound business decisions by adhering to established risk management principles. Anticipate and recognize matters that materially affect financial results and make sound, unbiased reports on these matters. Participate on work groups/ forums representing Aetna to external constituents.
You will support the Texas/Oklahoma/New Mexico markets and have a team of 6 direct reports. This is a commercial Market actuarial role where you will have the opportunity to interact w/many areas of the organization while developing relationships w/the local markets.
- Management of Resources- Lead/manage projects established to support goals identified to support goals identifies in strategic and operating plans. Influence/motivate resources within and outside of direct control to complete projects. Exhibit innovative use of resources.
- Scope of Decision Making- Broad decision making authority typically tied to level of financial impact.
- Staffing/Personnel- Develop a high performing team, including responsibility for hiring and termination decisions. Perform all other supervisory responsibilities for unit, including job coaching, performance reviews, and compensation determinations. Ensure access to appropriate tools, resources and training.
- Aetna Way- Foster behavior that reflects Aetnas values and is in accordance with the Aetna Way.
- Assumptions & Data Sources- Review assumptions developed by staff from a business perspective and be able to influence senior management to accept alternative recommendations. Integrate understanding of internal and external data sources for quantifying risks.
- Programs, Policies & Processes- Apply knowledge of corporate products, programs, processes and policies to resolve problems and issues.
- Regulatory Issues- Assure compliance with applicable regulations, laws and standards.
- Risk Assessment- Provide leadership in the negotiation and influencing of sound business decisions through adherence to established risk management principles.
- Rate Filing- Facilitate regulatory process. Respond to internal and external auditors. Validate and/or sign certifications of compliance.
- Reserve Analysis- Review reserve recommendations and set adequate reserve levels.
- Planning & Forecasting- Review recommendations and set forecast in collaboration with finance and business partners.
- Pricing, Trend & Benefit Design- Partner with business owners in decision making process around pricing and trend.
- Maintenance & Enhancements- Manage cost to implement and prioritize changes to processes, tools and systems. Present to senior management to approve funding.
- Business Specifications- Signoff detailed business requirements for system development.
- Testing- Review testing results for changes to processes, tools and systems.
Bachelor's degree along w/a minimum of 7 years related work experience.
Prior management experience & proven ability to develop staff.
Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) is desired, minimum ASA is required.
Ability to collaborate and multi-task and build strong relationships.
Strong desire to drive results
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Actuarial/Associate of the Society of Actuaries is required
Actuarial/Fellow of the Society of Actuaries is desired
Actuarial/American Academy of Actuaries is desired
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here
to review the benefits associated with this position.
Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Website : http://www.aetna.com
Aetna Inc. operates as a diversified health care benefits company in the United States. The company operates in three segments: Health Care, Group Insurance, and Large Case Pensions. The Health Care segment provides medical, pharmacy benefit management, dental, behavioral health, and vision plans on an insured basis, and an employer-funded or administrative basis. This segment also provides Medicare and Medicaid products and services, as well as other medical products, such as medical management and data analytics services, medical stop loss insurance, workers' compensation administrative services, and products that provide access to its provider networks in select markets. This segment offers its products and services to multi-site national, mid-sized, and small employers, as well as individual customers. The Group Insurance segment provides life insurance products comprising group term life insurance, voluntary spouse and dependent term life insurance, group universal life, and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; disability insurance products; and long-term care insurance products, which offer benefits to cover the cost of care in private home settings, adult day care, assisted living, or nursing facilities. This segment provides insurance products principally to employers that sponsor its products for the benefit of their employees and their employees dependents. The Large Case Pensions segment manages various retirement products, including pension and annuity products for tax-qualified pension plans. The companys customers include employer groups, individuals, college students, part-time and hourly workers, health plans, health care providers, governmental units, government-sponsored plans, labor groups, and expatriates. Aetna Inc. was founded in 1853 and is headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut.